Drinking barley water throughout the day has a number of health benefits. And with barley water, there is no minimum or maximum amount; whatever you consume is good for you, and you really cannot drink too much. A glass of barley water will help increase urination, which will flush toxins out of the body. That same glass has a high fiber count, helping lower your cholesterol.
What else can barley water do for you?
1) Because barley water increases urination, it has been shown to be an effective natural remedy for urinary tract infection. If you suffer from a UTI, simply boil a tablespoon of barley seeds in four cups of water, and boil down to half the amount. Allow to cool and then drink. Repeat as necessary.
2) Barley water also cools the body down. In many countries, people drink barley water just for its cooling effects. On a hot day, drink a glass and notice how much cooler you feel! It also quenches the thirst much better than soft drinks.
3) As mentioned previously, barley water is high in fiber. In addition to lowering cholesterol, it can also help women avoid gallstones.
4) Barley water can help improve the immune system because it is high in vitamin C, iron, manganese and copper.
5) During pregnancy, barley prevents yeast infections which can be harmful to the fetus. Barley water can also help ease morning sickness and nausea and even regulates blood sugar levels. This can help prevent Gestational diabetes. Furthermore, barley water helps prevent edema, constipation, and hemorrhoids, which are all common in pregnant women.
6) Barley water also contains calcium, phosphorus, and copper all of which are good for bone health. Additionally, manganese is needed for normal bone production.
7) Those who are anemic will benefit from drinking barley water throughout the day because it contains copper. Copper aids in the formation of hemoglobin–which is needed to produce red blood cells.
8) Barley water also contains niacin, a B vitamin complex, which helps to prevent atherosclerosis. This is a condition that causes the arterial walls to thicken. If the arterial walls thicken, it can cause heart disease and stroke. Thus, barley water greatly lowers the chances of stroke and heart disease.
9) Barley water has been highly touted lately for weight loss, too. Why? Because fiber absorbs water. The insoluble fiber expands in your stomach and suppresses the appetite, so you eat less. Additionally, barley is low in fat and cholesterol, and full of vital nutrients, so it is ideal for daily consumption. It even helps increase your metabolism, so you burn more calories all day long.
10) Barley water can also make your skin glow! Barley seeds contain selenium which helps to preserve the skin’s elasticity. It also and protects it from free radical damage which can age it. The antioxidants in barley can help protect against wrinkles. And, since barley water flushes out toxins, your skin is left glowing, and wrinkle-free!